13 January 2015

The History of the Future

In mid-2006, I collected together all of my Doctor Who reviews together and pasted them into a very crude website that I’d cobbled together at the obscure URL www.historyofthedoctor.tk. Stories could be scrolled through in order (from the Doctor’s unique perspective), which for many readers was just as important a part of its appeal as the reviews themselves.

A couple of years and a lot of hits later, The History of the Doctor moved to www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk, where it spent a few strong years as Google’s top-ranked site for the search phrase “Doctor Who reviews” before I shut up shop in mid-2011 at the height of its notoriety.


Whilst I’ve since reviewed the remainder of the 2 | entertain classic Doctor Who DVDs on there (except for The Moonbase, for some reason), and used the popularity of the site to plug this blog and in particular its Beyond History’s End series from last year, I have no intention of posting any more new Who material. As such, with my web-hosting contract coming up for renewal this month, I’ve reluctantly decided to archive the site away in obscurity at www.doctorwhoreviews.altervista.org rather than cough up quite a lot of money every January to keep it running at its flashy co.uk URL, only for the site to disappear once I snuff it and breach the contract. This way, I can forget about it, and until / unless AlterVista go bust, it’ll always be there.

If you’re a History buff, please update your bookmarks and spread the word about the move. If you notice any features not working as they did at the old URL, please e-mail me at doctorwhoreviews@altervista.org with the details and I’ll look into it. Please don’t use this address to ask me about future updates, though, as there won’t be any. Hopefully former site contributors Daniel Tessier and Joe Ford will sate your appetites with their continuing, prolific reviews of all things Who and more besides.

So, forget the old “Doctor Whore Views” trailer; now History’s at: